Summer is here and so is the Maangai, the Green mango. Yay!
The famous Maangai pickle, is a traditional family recipe, that has lasted and will continue to last the test of many generations. Reason simply being the ease with which one can make this fermented food, abundant with health benefits.
Mouth watering, sour and tangy in taste can be an accompaniment to just about any dish, maybe not all.I take that back, definitely not with desserts but other than that, I still insist everything, trust me, comes in very handy on “Oh! I don’t feel like cooking” days.
Prep time: 15 mins ; Cooking time: 10 ; mins ; Serves: 8-10
● Green mango – 1.5 kg or 4 big
● Gingelly/Sesame Oil – 3 tbsp
● Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
● Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
● Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
● Red chilly powder – 2 – 3 tbsp
● Rock Salt – 1 tbsp or to taste
● Asafoetida/Hing powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Wash, clean and dry the green mangoes thoroughly. Chop them into small 1/4 inch dices with the skin on.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt. Once the mustard seeds crackle, switch off the gas.
3. Pour the oil on the chopped mangoes and mix well. The pickle can be had instantly or one can let it ferment for a day or two and then requires refrigeration, especially, in a city as hot as ours. It can be bottled and used for months, if it lasts that long, never does at my place.Like wine it tastes better n better as it ages.