Simplicity is the essence of beauty and so is this green chutney / dip / spread. A fresh, palette cleanser, plays the role of an accompaniment sauce for most Indian snacks / tiffin items, as a dip for starters / chips, as well as, a spread for breads. Made with simple ingredients in a jiffy and simply polished off in a jiffy. Just go right ahead and simply make it in a jiffy!
Prep time: 10 mins; Making time: 5 mins; Serves: 4-6
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves – 1 bunch
- Mint leaves – 1 bunch
- Green Chilly – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Rock Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
- Lemon – 1
1. Soak the coriander and mint leaves in water for 5 mins and then lift them up gently so that dirt, if any from the leaves settles down at the bottom of the vessel. Wash and rinse the leaves well till clean.
2. Dry roast cumin seeds till you get a good aroma and they are slightly light brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Blend the cleaned coriander and mint leaves, roasted cumin seeds, green chilly, rock salt and juice of a lemon in a blender.
Tip: Optional additions that work well here are 1 tbsp grated coconut, 1 tbsp yogurt, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and 1/4 tsp chat masala powder. You can try these options individually or in combination and get a version of the chutney that tickle your taste buds.