The older one has early morning classes. Got to get her brunch ready by 6.30 early mornings and it helps a lot to do mise en place the prior evening. Rajma along with rice is an excellent meal, wholesome, filling, nutritious, protein rich and kids just love it. So much so, that she must share it with her friends, which she does, albeit grudgingly. Maybe packing an extra box for friends, should be a good idea!
Prep time : 9 hrs + 15 mins; Cooking time : 30 mins; Serves: 4
Ingredients ( organic | unrefined) :
- Kidney beans / Rajma – 1 cup
- Onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 2
- Green chilies – 2
- Garlic – 3
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Oil / Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Wash, rinse and soak the beans overnight. Next morning discard the soaked water and wash the beans. Pressure cook the beans with 2 cups of fresh water till 4 whistles.
2. Chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic finely. Slice green chilies lengthwise and julienne the ginger.
3. Heat oil / ghee in a pan and add the chopped onions, garlic, green chilies, ginger and salt, which helps release moisture from onions and cook them faster. Saute till onions are translucent, then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are soft, about 5 mins.
4. Now add the pressure cooked beans and cook for another 7 – 9 mins till you see the broth bubbling. Garnish with coriander leaves.
5. Serve steaming hot Rajma with Basmati rice. Match made in heaven!