Mung Bean sprouts / Green gram lentil sprouts are low on calories and high in fiber and vitamins, especially Vitamin B. Raw Mung Bean Salad is a powerhouse of energy, packed with goodness of nutrients and works wonders in a weight loss diet.
Initially, sprouting the Mung Bean seemed a daunting challenge, until I discovered a very easy way to do it. Let me get down straight, to sharing, this sure fire technique and the Raw Mung Bean Salad recipe (on popular demand from my daughter’s friends) with one and all.
Sprouted Mung Beans
Wash, rinse and soak a cup of Mung Beans with sufficient amount of water for about 5 – 7 hours till the Mung Beans swell to double their size. Drain the water completely and then wrap it around a kitchen turkey towel, which tends to hold on to moisture. Keep it in a bowl, inside the oven ( or any warm place) for another 7-9 hours and then voila, you will be gushing at the sight of, these germinated, sprouted, beautiful Mung Beanie babies.
Mung Bean Salad
Prep time : 15 mins; Serves : 4
- Sprouted Mung Beans – 1 cup
- Onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 2
- Green Chilly (deseeded) – 1
- Capsicum (deseeded) – 1
- Green Mango – 2 inch piece
- Lemon – 1/2
- Red Chilly powder / Paprika powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Mango powder / Amchur powder / Chat masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 3 – 4
- Coriander leaves / cilantro leaves – 3 sprigs
- Himalayan Pink Rock Salt powder – to taste
1. Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, green chilly, capsicum, green mango,coriander leaves, curry leaves and add them to sprouted mung beans. Take in a a large bowl, to facilitate mixing.
2. Season with red chilly powder, dry mango powder or chat masala powder, coconut oil, lemon juice from half a lemon and salt.
Vibrant and delicious Raw Mung Bean Salad ready to charge an energizer bunny!