Flax seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, excellent for the heart among its numerous health benefits.
Flax Seeds Molaga Podi is a creative and extremely tasty way of including them in our diet. Flax seed Molaga Podi, nicknamed ‘Gun powder’ as it is spicy enough, to blow you off. To counter the heat from the chilies, it is mixed with Sesame Oil and then had along with Idli, Dosa or Uthappam but with my dear Tanvi, it is diametrically opposite. For her Flax Seed Molaga Podi, she has Dosas, Idlis and Uthappams. It is always ” Maa, Can I please have some more Dosas for the extra podi that accidentally (emphasizing on ‘accidentally’, when in reality it is ‘deliberately’ ) fell onto my plate?”
Just as it’s health benefits, It can be used in numerous ways to make different dishes. It can be mixed with rice and sesame oil or ghee to prepare Mixed Podi Rice, can be sprinkled on dry vegetable curries to spice them up – an instant curry powder and tastes wonderful as a Salad Sprinkle.
Prep time : 10 mins; Cooking time : 15 mins
- Flax Seeds – 1/4 cup
- Sesame Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black Gram Dal / Udad dal – 3/4 cup
- Bengal Gram Dal / Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
- Whole Red Chilies – 1 – 3/4 cup
- Asafoetida powder / Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery – 3 tsp
- Rock Salt – to taste
1. Dry roast the ingredients in the following order, first the Sesame seeds till they start popping, then the flax seeds till they start popping, then the Udad dal till light brown, then the Channa dal till light brown, then the whole red chilies till brown and finally the hing till slightly brown.
2. Once cooled, dry grind the spices in following order, first Sesame seeds, then add in the Flax seeds, then add in the rest of the ingredients till slightly coarse.
3. Store in an air tight container.
Cook’s Note :
Each ingredient needs to be dry roasted separately for best results.