“Maa, it smells like Rangan Thatta” says my little one, as I secure the door locks and settle inside the car, along with my freshly ground, Peaberry Coffee Beans powder pack. Her olfactory receptors, couldn’t have been tuned on, more right.
Rangan Thatta, my Appa | father, was ever game, for ‘another cup of coffee’. In fact, I thought, exactly a year and a half back, that his last words would be ‘Coffee’!
Coffee, Cricket (the sport) and Chembur (suburb of Mumbai – his first home), would most certainly, have been his top favourite ‘C’s’.
A simple man, of not many words, he opined “True love, needs no exhibition”. The most challenging life lesson, he has given, which I am yet to grasp fully is, one does survive the loss, of a dearly loved one.
Prep time : 30 mins; Making time : 5 mins; Serves : 4 – 6
Ingredients (organic | unrefined) :
- Coffee Powder ( freshly ground preferably, Peaberry or any variety) – 3 tbsp s heaped
- Water – 1 1/2 cups approximately
- Dairy Milk – 1 liter
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tsp or as per taste
1. Put coffee powder in the top compartment of the coffee filter. Bring about 3/4 cup of water to rolling boil. Pour water gradually, initially, just wetting the coffee powder and then slowly pouring the water, till the brim. Set aside for 30 mins. 1st coffee decoction, which is really strong, is collected in the bottom compartment of the filter. Store this in a container. Follow the above procedure again and prepare, a 2nd coffee decoction, which will be less strong.
2. In the meantime, bring milk to boil and switch off heat.
3. 1 – 2 tbsp s of 1st coffee decoction (or 2 – 3 tbsp s of 2nd coffee decoction) + 11/2 tsp sugar or as per taste + 3/4 cup milk passed through a strainer, in that order, to make one cup | tumbler of strong aromatic coffee.
Cook’s note :
1. Swish the coffee, back and forth, once or twice, between the Tumbler and Davara or any holding container, until frothy.
2. Add a drop of coffee decoction, on top, just before serving.
3. Freshly brewed coffee decoction and freshly boiled milk, give best results.
4. To prepare light coffee, reduce the quantity of coffee decoction and increase the quantity of milk.
5. Coffee decoction, can be prepared in an electric coffee maker too.
Vegan Version : 1 – 2 tsp of 1st coffee decoction (or 2 – 3 tsp of 2nd coffee decoction) + 11/2 tsp sugar or as per taste + 3/4 cup hot almond milk (heated on a low flame) and passed through a strainer, in that order, to make one cup | tumbler of strong aromatic coffee. Use lesser amount of coffee decoction for the Vegan version, as it may tend to get overpowering.
For the caffeine in the Coffee, to work best for one’s health, it should preferably be had after food and in limited measure.
Steaming Hot Coffee at your service. Appa, this one’s for you, do I see one smiley ‘POP’ up there?!