Publishing my blog, made the older one happiest, her mouth drooling at the thought of getting new and interesting dishes. The sisters secretly conspired, to get me making dishes, they wanted. Their plan of action – convince me that the dishes they wanted, would feature ‘Popular’ on the blog!
Seeing a big bag of Puffed rice, in the larder, I asked suggestions, for an afternoon snack? Older one suggested Bhelpuri (her favourite), as she too looked along, the direction of my sight. I observed “It is already on the blog, maybe something else, to put up as my next post?”
The siblings exchanged worried glances. Has their plan backfired | Is there always another side to the coin?!
I was mighty pleased, in the knowledge of having given them ‘food for thought’ along with ‘food for tummy’!
Prep time : 10 mins; Cooking time : 20 mins ; Serves : 4 – 6
Ingredients ( organic | unrefined) :
- Puffed rice – 200 gms
- Garlic – 1 whole bulb
- Peanuts – 100 gms
- Cumin seeds | Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida | Hing powder – a pinch
- Sesame oil | Coconut oil | Groundnut oil – 1 – 2 tsp
- Rock Salt powder – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
1. Peel and crush the garlic cloves into a fine paste in a mortar and pestle or a blender.
2. Take oil in a wide bottomed large pan (helps in mixing the voluminous puffed rice). Add peanuts, fry them well till brown and crispy, next add garlic, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, curry leaves, asafoetida powder, salt (add very little, just enough for the garlic, as the puffed rice does not absorb salt) and stir constantly to roast well. Finally, add the puffed rice. Mix well for about 2 – 3 mins and switch off heat.
3. Let it cool down to room temperature and then store it in an airtight container. Can be stored for about 3 – 4 days, but as usual, never last that long at my place.
Great snack to munch on, infact tough to stop. Enjoy!