Change is constant. Can one refute this prelude?!
Though, somethings are best left unchanged like my Rasam Podi | Powder recipe (mmm… so fragrant even as I grind it)
Rasam Podi | Powder is added, at the end to Tamarind Rasam, Lemon Rasam or any type of Rasam and brought to a boil. It is also added to Kootu (Vegetable and lentil dish) and Keerai (Spinach and Lentil dish) to enhance flavour.
Rasam Podi | Powder is the major zing factor of a freshly prepared Rasam | Lentil soup.
Disclaimer for Indians travelling abroad, intending to pack and carry this aromatic | fragrant spice mix, Rasam Podi | Powder – No guarantee of passing baggage clearance, right under the nose of a Customs official!
Prep time : 5 mins; Cooking time : 10 mins; Makes : about 1 1/2 cups
- Cumin Seeds | Jeera – 1 cup
- Black Peppercorns – 3/4 cup
- Coriander seeds | Dhania – 1/4 cup
- Red Gram Lentil | Thuvar Dal – 1 tbsp
- Bengal Gram Lentil | Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Dry roast all the ingredients, till lightly brown and aromatic, except curry leaves and turmeric powder. Set aside.
2. Dry roast the curry leaves, till lightly brown and add it to the ingredients along with the turmeric powder.
3. Grind all the ingredients coarsely in a dry grinder. Store this fragrant powder in an air tight container and use with a dry and clean spoon as and when required, up to 3 months.