Children at home, vacation time, mango season, hot weather, my recent posts harping about these topics, it is crystal clear, no ambiguity whatsoever, the picture is well imprinted alright, we get it – It is Summer!
Oh but, how quickly it has gone by! Are you ready for school? Are you ready?!
T, a 13 year old slept to wake up next morning, a 14 year old! S, left home, a school student to arrive home, a college student!
Congratulations and Jubilation! Celebrations are in order, Special treat for Special occasions.
We did it, in style with Kulfi, creamy | classic | rich | nutty dessert, the traditional Indian Ice cream.
Prep time : 10 mins; Cooking time : 30 mins ; Freezing time : 7 – 9 hrs; Serves : 7 – 9
Ingredients (organic and unrefined) :
- 2 liters of Milk
- 1 – 1 1/4 cup of Sugar
- 1 -1 1/2 tbsp s of Corn flour | Rice flour
- 7 – 9 Cardamoms
- 18 Pistachios
- 18 Almonds
- 18 Cashew nuts
- 18 Saffron strands
1. Soak the pistachios, almonds and cashew nuts in warm water for 1/2 hour. Drain the water and grind it to fine paste in a blender. Peel and powder the cardamoms in a mortar and pestle or a dry grinder.
2. Keep the milk for boiling in a vessel, with a ladle, to avoid overflowing. Once the milk boils, remove 1/2 cup milk aside and keep the rest on low flame to reduce by at least 1/4 the quantity.
3. Soak the saffron strands in 1/4 cup of the warm boiled milk, which we kept aside in the previous step. With the remaining 1/4 cup, mix corn flour or rice flour and add it back to the milk. Fold it into the milk well, such that no lumps are formed. Then add the nuts paste of pistachios+almonds+cashews, cardamom powder and saffron soaked warm milk, to the boiling milk and let it simmer for another 15 mins. Keep stirring constantly to avoid the milk sticking to the bottom of the vessel. Switch of the heat, once the milk is creamy. Cooling down the milk to room temperature will thicken its consistency further.
4. Pour and freeze them for 7 – 9 hours or overnight in Popsicle holders or in Terracotta mud pots | matkas, to make the traditional Matka Kulfi. Lack of these paraphernalia, is no excuse, not to make these lovelies. The kulfi mixture can also be directly frozen in serving bowls. Cover and freeze them for 3 – 4 hours, the kulfis are now ready to be removed from their moulds and served.
Vegan Version :
Replace dairy milk by Almond milk | Cashew Milk or use equal proportion of both. Heat on a low flame just upto the simmering point and follow the above recipe.
1. Fresh fruit purees can be added to the boiled milk mixture just before freezing, to make fruit flavoured Kulfis. Eg: Mangoes, Lychees etc.
2. Instead of taking all the nuts i.e pistachios, almonds and cashew nuts, only one or a combination of any of the two dry fruit nuts can be used for making Kulfis.
Serve the creamy, cold, delicious Kulfis. Step back and you are sure to hear Lady Gaga croon, in the background ~~~
🎵🎶🎼 The applause, applause, applause! I live for the A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E – applause-applause. Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me. The applause, applause, applause!🎵🎶🎼