Roasted curry of Cauliflower paired with potatoes, is an all time favourite in the family. Cauliflower is low in fat and carbohydrates but high in dietary fiber. It has high nutritional density and is beneficial for health. Cauliflower can be made in various interesting styles and this delicious roasted dry curry recipe is a winner!
Prep time : 15 mins; Cooking time : 25 mins; Serves : 4
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 – 3 small potatoes
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Sambar powder
- powdered rock salt to taste
- 1 – 1 1/2 tb.sp Mustard oil | Sesame oil | any cooking oil of choice
- 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt to it. In the meantime, remove and discard the outer leaves and thick stalks, leaving only the florets. Dice the cauliflowers florets into small pieces and drop it in the large pot of hot water and let it soak for 10 mins. This step helps to clean the cauliflower thoroughly.
2. Finely chop the coriander leaves and dice the potatoes into small rectangular pieces. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a broad base skillet (non stick skillet is preferable, stainless steel or iron skillet will require additional 2 – 3 tbsps of oil, to get the curry golden brown to the same extent). Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter and turn slightly brown then toss in the diced potatoes, salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Mix well and cook covered for about 5 – 10 minutes. Once half cooked, toss in the partially blanched and cleaned cauliflower florets and cook with a lid on a low flame, till the vegetables are fully cooked. Keep stirring every 2 – 3 mins to avoid sticking to the bottom and getting burnt. Then remove the lid, add Sambar powder and cook the vegetables till the raw smell of Sambar powder goes and they are golden brown, well roasted.
4. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Brocolli may be used to substitute Cauliflower in the above recipe.
- Including a Capsicum or Green Bell pepper chopped into 1/4 inch square pieces, also makes this dish very tasty.