Curry leaves; herbal, medicinal, nutritional and aromatic in fragrance!
Green foliage with myriads of vitamins, nestled in abundance!
Plentiful and pristine on a tree!
Gluten free, dairy free, cost free – rejoice – free, free, free!
Preparing Curry leaves powder; never ever a wasted exercise!
Curry leaves powder + a dollop of ghee | sesame oil + steamed hot rice;
An unbeatable combination, is a solemn piece of advice!
Unputdownable, flavour galore!
An inviting delectable condiment, that now adorns the table decor!
Prep time : 15 mins; Cooking time : 30 mins
- 1 1/2 cups of Curry leaves
- 3 tbsps Flax Seeds
- 3 tbsps Black Gram lentils | udad dal
- 3 tbsps Bengal Gram lentils | channa dal
- 9 – 12 Whole Red Chilies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds | rai
- 1/2 tbsp cummin seeds | jeera
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 small marble sized lump of tamarind
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder | Hing
- 1 inch piece of dry ginger | chukku or 3 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Jaggery
- Rock Salt to taste
- Wash the curry leaves well, drain and dry completely in the sun for 3-4 hours or dry roast it on a pan | skillet or in an oven at 150 C for 10 – 15 mins.
- Dry roast in a bandli | pan | skillet, each ingredient separately, except jaggery and preferably do so, on low flame, till they are aromatic and light brown.
- Once cooled, dry grind all the ingredients in a blender till lightly coarse.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Replace red chilies by same number of green chilies and garlic cloves. Roast both green chilies and garlic in about a tsp of sesame oil and continue to follow the above procedure. Please note on including these ingredients, one must store this powder in the refrigerator.
- Instead of 3 tbsps of bengal gram lentil | channa dal, 1 1/2 tbsps of Red gram lentil | Thuvar Dal and 1 1/2 tbsps of bengal gram lentil | Channa Dal can be added in the above recipe.
Each ingredient needs to be dry roasted separately for best results.