I see apples
Junior sees apples
I see fresh juicy apples vie
Junior sees apple pie
Sliced, cooked ‘n’ crumbled
Forbidden fruit truly humbled
Crusted ‘n’ baked in deed
Apple Pie, Indeed!
Ingredients for the pastry crust :
- 11/2 cups plain or wheat flour (GF flour for GF version)
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- a pinch of Baking soda (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp icing Sugar to be dusted on top
- 150 gms of cold unsalted butter (cooking oil for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup yogurt (skip for vegan version)
- 1 tsp (milk +honey) for milk wash (almond milk for vegan version)
- Requisite amount of cold water for kneading the dough
Ingredients for the filling:
- 6 large apples
- 1 – 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 lemon
- 11/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- a pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Knead all the ingredients given for the pastry crust into a dough. Cover with a wet cloth and refrigerate it for upto an hour.
- Thinly slice the apples lengthwise. Cook them in a pan along with half a cup of water, brown sugar, juice of a lemon, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder. To thicken the filling, add cornflour mixed in 2 – 3 tsps of water.Switch of heat, once the apples are soft and cooked.
- Thinly roll out 2/3 rd of the cold dough and place it as the base of the pie dish. Fork all around, a few times and bake it for 15 mins at 180C. Once baked, place the cooked apple filling on the base.
- Thinly roll out the rest of the dough and cover the filling and the base. Make slits from the centre radiating outward and also if desired, make fluted patterns at the edges of the circular pie. Brush the pie with milk wash. Bake at 180C for about 30mins , till the crust is golden brown on top. Sieve and sprinkle icing sugar on top before slicing and serving.
Cheers to another great year!
Find great work done by many. Sharing one here.