1. Chop the broccoli into small florets. Steam cook them in a vessel with turmeric and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Wash and soak Thuvaram paruppu and kadalai paruppu together for about an hour. Drain out completely.
3. Grind red chilies, peppercorns, cumin seeds and asafoetida in mixer jar, then add the drained out lentils. Coarsely grind them all.
4. Steam cook in a pressure cooker or steamer, the coarsely ground lentil mixture on an oiled idli plate or vessel, for about 15 minutes.
5. Once cooked, roughly crumble the lentil mixture into small pieces, with a fork or spoon.
6. Heat oil in a wok or a wide base pan, add mustard seeds, once they splutter, add the curry leaves, the crumbled lentil mixture and roast well for about 10 mins. Then mix in the cooked broccoli florets and salt. Roast the curry for about 15 – 20 mins, till the lentils are golden brown and crispy. Serve hot with steamed rice and Goddu Rasam and/or Moar kuzhambhu and/or Menthi khuzhambu.
1. Vegetables like French beans, Broad beans, Cluster beans (Kothavarangai), Carrots, Cabbage and Plantain flower (Vaizhapoo) are used to make this preparation.
2. Green chilies can be used instead of red chilies.
3. Red chilly powder, pepper powder and cumin powder can be added instead of grinding the whole spices with the lentils.
4. Paruppu usili can also be prepared using only red gram lentil.
Plantain flower curry or Vaizhapoo Paruppu usili
A classic heritage dish, where we need some additional steps to prepare the florets.
Directions to prepare the Plantain flower ( also refer pic below ) :
Oil the cutting board, knife and your hands, to avoid staining.
Peel open the outer petal, to discover a bunch of florets inside.
Remove the stamen out of each floret.
Chop all the florets after removing the stamen.
As you keep peeling off and discarding the petals, at one stage, the florets will be so small that you do not have to remove the stamen as they will be very tender, then chop it, as such.
Soak the chopped florets, in bowl of water, to which a spoon of buttermilk is added to avoid discolouration, until you steam cook them in a pressure cooker or a pan.